Thursday, June 16, 2011

Guest Author Anya Winter and The Master


Welcome to the blog Anya and thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk about your latest book, The Master. Tell us a little about THE MASTER.

A semi-naked photo, taken almost ten years, is about to ruin everything for Madison Pearce. With a glass of champagne in hand, Madison is about to call her recent event planning job a success, until she is pulled her into a private room and a past secret resurfaces. Along with the lover, she never expected to see again…

Where were you when you got your first book contract?

I was stuck in traffic on the way home. I remember honking the horn, I was so excited!

Who did you tell?

Who didn’t I tell! LOL. I remember sending my CP an email using way too many exclamation points. I tried calling my husband but the phone was busy so I ended up crying. Just a little bit.

What draws you to write your genre and sub genre?

I have fun writing erotic romance. It’s getting to the HEA that is fun. I like to find ways to immerse real life into fantasy. And of course I have to include chocolate in all of my stories. Some how, some where it’s there.

Do you have any tips for new writers?

Believe in yourself. You are the only one who can write your book. No one else. If you don’t believe in yourself, then no one else will either.

What is your guilty pleasure?

I’d say chocolate but I refuse to feel guilty about that :)

I agree. Chocolate is nothing to feel guilty about!

Where can your readers reach you?


www.steenaholmes.com is my main site. I have a home page for Anya Winter at www.anyawinter.tumblr.com

Are you working on another book?

Sure am. I’m finding that the second story for publication however is harder to write than the first one was.

Do you have an excerpt you’d like to share?

“You’ve done well for yourself,” she broke eye contact with him and took a sip of her champagne. If she didn’t eat something soon, all this alcohol would go to her head and she wouldn’t be responsible for her actions. Her hand trembled at the thought.
“I only took what I had and made it prosper. You, on the other hand, started from scratch and excelled.” Anderson downed his champagne in one gulp before he stepped back and walked to his desk, her hand still captured in his. She had no choice but to follow.

“How do you know about what I have or haven’t done?” A warm, tingling sensation filled her as the alcohol took hold. She enjoyed the warmth. She knew her eyes gleamed when Anderson reached for a chocolate-covered strawberry and held it out to her.

“You may have walked out of my life, but I didn’t walk out of yours.”
She parted her lips and waited for him to feed her the treat. Shivers ran along her body when the decadent chocolate dessert filled her mouth. She stared into his eyes, saw the naked desire he felt for her. The ache that started in her stomach spread lower.

“You kept tabs on me?” The melted chocolate on her tongue tasted delicious. With the combination of strawberry and champagne, Madison could have cared less about what happened in the past. If she believed she was in heaven before, then she’d just stepped through the pearly gates.

Anderson shrugged his shoulder as he took a bite of a strawberry. Flakes of chocolate broke off as he bit down and fell onto his shirt. Madison reached up to wipe the chocolate away and found her finger on his shirt button instead. With a flick of her wrist, it opened and wisps of his dark curly hair appeared. Madison gulped.

“Of course, I watched the little mouse become a lioness as she faced the world and made it her own. I’ve been quite proud of you, of the woman you’ve become.” His hand caressed her cheek.

“Then you will know that this woman misses the touch of her Master.” A small pool of moisture gathered between her thighs. She’d missed his touch, his magic.

Wow! Is it hot in here? Chocolate and Champagne? I'm hooked already!

How did you come up with the title?

I had just finished reading 7 Day Loan by Tiffany Reisz when a story came to me. I wanted something with a BDSM flavor and immediately The Master came to me.

Do you work on one project at a time or mulitples?

I have 4 on the go right now. Once I hit the 5K mark, it seems like that’s when my brain starts to think of other story ideas.

Is there one particular thing that you find challenging about writing?

Finding the time to write. I’m sure that’s one most writers can admit to.

Who is your favorite author?

I have so many right now. Tiffany Reisz is one - you totally should follow her on twitter. Joey Hill is another favorite right now. I will always love Elizabeth Mansfield. Always.

What are you reading now?

I just finished The Barn Dance by Camryn Rhys. I’m about to start on book 4 of the Shadowland series by Cherise Sinclair (another favorite author btw)

Are your characters a reflection on you or anyone you know?

I’d lie if I said no :) There’s always a little bit of me in my heroines. In one form or another - whether its a past experience, a hope/desire or just her love of chocolate.

Do you use more than one pen name? Why?

I only have one. Anya Winter. I also enjoy writing contemporary fiction and didn’t want to confuse the two. Plus in my previous life my husband and I were pastors and realize that it might be a tad bit difficult for some of our friends to understand. I won’t hide who I am or what I write, but I try to be sensitive to their feelings.

What do you do to get in the mood to write?

Drink coffee and let my husband talk dirty to me for a while :) That always seems to get the creative juices flowing.

What is your favorite thing about writing?

Knowing that I found something I can do. Something I’m good at. Something that is only for me.

If you were a supernatural creature, what would you like to be and why?

Something that would make me sensual, skinny and able to eat all the chocolate I want.

How long have you been a writer?

Since 2005. Wow - that seems so long ago!

How many books have you written? How many have been published?

I’ve written 6 and had two published.

Do you have a favorite character from one of you own books? Who and Why?

Jack. He’s in my contemporary fiction that I’m in the middle of querying. He’s an older man who comes across as gruff, but he’s a teddy bear inside.

What is the easiest and hardest thing about writing?

Easiest is coming up with ideas. Hardest is finding the words to express them.

Do you find love scenes difficult to write?

Not at all. In fact, I tend to write two to three loves scenes before I’m finished the first chapter. Once I know who my characters are I find that by placing them in a scene where they are most vulnerable shows me things I would never have seen. Plus it shows me far my characters need to travel to get to this scene. I love it. It’s odd - but it works for me.

Are any of your personal experiences reflected in your writing?

Of course :) But what? Not telling :)

How long does it usually take you to write a book?

That really depends. The Master, a novella, took a month to write and a month to edit (only because I edited at work - shhhh). My last novel took 6 months and 6 months to edit. The one before that took 2 years.

Do you set timelines when your writing or write when the feeling hits you?

I have three kids, a dog and a husband. Plus I work full time. I can’t carve in timelines.

Do you characters talk to you?

No, but they do come alive in my dreams.

Who controls the storyline, you or your characters?

Oh, they do. I never really understood that until recently. Fighting with your character can get down right dirty. They always seem to win too. Which sucks.

What is your writing day like once you start a book?

I try to get an hour or so a night, but usually it’s weekends when I write. Unless (shhh...) its really slow at work, and then I’ll try to write 1K or so during the day.

Do you promo your backlists when you’re writing a new book, or dedicate your time solely to writing?

I think we have to do both. I don’t much of a backlist to promote, but I think it will become necessary.

How many books do you write in a year?

Novels - 1 a year. Novella’s - I’m hoping to write 4-6 a year.

You can buy THE MASTER by Anya Winter at www.LiquidSilverBooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment